Friends! How many of us have them?
But seriously, a true friend is a blessing from God Himself. To quote the African Proverb, “A friend is someone you share the path with.” A true friend is a supporter, an encourager, a listener, an inspiration and pleasant to be around.” A true friend sticks around even when you are not so pleasant or things get tough.
However, “to everything there is a season and a time for everything” Friendships are seasonal. Some seasons last as long as a lifetime. Other times, not so much. As we grow and begin adulthood this concept becomes a harsh reality. As unpredictable as life is the last thing you need is a toxic friendship creating unnecessary stress and strife in your life. I am not saying that everyone you meet is perfect or a bad person. But when the faults become too much to deal with then it will make your life toxic.
So before you start buying best friends forever necklaces, here are a few warning signs to help you recognize when its time to walk away from the friendship.
1) You put on a facade when they’re around because you no longer feel comfortable being yourself around them.
2) You are constantly letting their phone calls go to voicemail because small talk requires too much energy.
3) After hanging out with them for 5 minutes, you’d rather watch paint dry.
4) Their presence annoys you on a regular basis.
5) You’re embarrassed to bring them around your parents or family.
6) You only hear from them if they need to complain or need you to do something.
7) They can never make time for you.
8) They are a bad influence in your life.
9) Their support is not equal to yours.
10) They are constantly flaking out on you at the last minute.
11) They tear you down more than they build you up.
12) Your friend’s resentment or jealousy towards you becomes vindictive.
13) They refuse to forgive you.
As the great songstress Lauryn Hill once said “It ain’t working.”
“I’m Just Saying..”